Hey hey! Happy Friday friends!
Popping in with a happy hour for y’all because this comforting cocoa has been my go-to afternoon sip lately. And I hope I don’t lose you in the next sentence, so just go with me on this… the trick of the hot cocoa is… wait for it…. MUSHROOMS
Yes it is true!
I know the title of this drink is kind of mystical or woo woo sounding, but a daily flick of cordyceps powder (fungus-derived!) has shown some promise for me personally in terms of energy levels and combating stress/inflammation. It has a naturally earthy taste, as you might expect a dried and powdered fungus would, but once you swirl it into this frothy mix of cacao, coconut milk, and ginger, you kind of forget that it’s there. I get mine from Four Sigmatic, and it honestly helps me sleep so much. Obviously everyone is different in how they respond to ingredients like this, so always exercise discernment with your own body/life in mind. I also love the blend from OM Mushrooms, if you want to try something else.
I’m taking a slightly different approach to the links today, too. There’s a few items for reading, cooking, and watching, but also some notes on things I’ve been personally using/loving in my home and everyday life. Maybe you could call this a post-holiday self-care gift guide? Let’s get to it.
- This Four Sigmatic Reishi Hot Cacao: I am seriously so obsessed with this stuff. It is pretty much a hug in a mug. When i do not have the time to make this concoction, I whip this baby up! Use “cuttingveg” to grab 15% off if you so choose!
- This Super Cozy Cardigan: I cannot even handle this sweater. It is soooo freaking soft. I pretty much cannot live without it at this point
- I made a version of this date pumpkin seed granola and, now, I am ready to sprinkle it on my life.
- This Rosehip Face Oil that I have been spreading on my face lately. It smells so darn good, almost like I’m in a garden. Plus, it is all natural and supposed to keep my skin looking young… I’ll take it!
- Lately, I’ve gone back to basics with these ginger butter tomatoes on top of all the toast. So darn good.
- Prisoner by Jason Rezaian is a memoir of the Washington Post correspondent trapped in Iran for a year and a half and his harrowing escape. I listened to the audiobook version in less than a day and I did not want it to end.
- Tommy Siegal is a cartoonist and his cartoons are making me LIVE.
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger or 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 teaspoons sweetener of choice to taste (I like mine without or with 1 teaspoon maple)
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
Combine all ingredients in a mug or in a blender. Blend until smooth or use a milk frother to blend. Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy